Thursday, February 17, 2011

Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself (and a little background on my disabilty)

I'm Mark I'm 21 and I do all the things 21 year olds do (well most at least). The only difference is I have Developmental Dyspraxia. What is Developmental Dyspraxia. Well its motor skills and disorder nervous system disorder that affects 3-7 percent of school-age children and the hands do not do not receive the correct orders from the brain. It's known as clumsy child disorder, Developmental Coordination Disorder, and Developmental Motor Coordination Disorder. It's sometimes associated with mental handicaps (probably because of the developmental part of the the term). No body really knows what causes it. I have a powerpoint on this so just tweet (DM) me if you want it and I can email it to you. It was first described in 1994 by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth edition (DSM-IV) and much of the work is being done is Britian and the US. The is no cure but we can use Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy and we do need some accommodations. My friends just accept me for who I am, and they really can't tell but if they do they don't give a shit, which is fine with me which is what most people with my disability want, to fit in. Oh I'm also an enormous Packers fan so stop by my other blog here. Well that's enough about me you can follow me on twitter too.

No comments:

Post a Comment